Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How can I remove Service Pack 3?

QUESTION:
I just installed Service Pack 3 on my XP Pro computer. Before that everything worked fine. Now some of my programs are flaky. I want to get rid of it? Can I and how?

ANSWER:
If you installed the beta of IE 8 before installing SP3, you may not be able to roll back. Otherwise, there are a couple of ways to do it. The easiest is to use the Add/Remove Programs item in Control Panel, but if that doesn't work, try this:
  1. Click Start | Run
  2. Type : c\windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$\spuninst.exe
  3. Click OK
  4. This should start the Service Pack 3 Removal Wizard, which walks you through the steps of uninstalling the SP
If these methods don't work, first restart the computer and then use System Restore to roll back to a restore point that was prior to the time you installed the service pack (this will also undo any other changes that you've made since that time).

No comments: