Friday, February 20, 2009

Can I boot Vista without the boot menu?

QUESTION:
I installed Vista with Windows XP (dual boot) just in case, so I could go back to XP if Vista didn't work. Well, it does and I like Vista and I never use XP. But when I reboot, I still get the boot menu to choose Vista or XP. Is there a way I can get it to just boot into Vista? Do I have to uninstall XP?

ANSWER:
It's not necessary to uninstall XP in order to boot directly to Vista. You just need to adjust the system startup settings. Here's how:

1. Click Start and right click My Computer
Select Properties
In the left pane, click Advanced System Settings
On the Advanced tab, at the bottom in the Startup and Recovery section, click the Settings button
Make sure the Default Operating System is set to Vista
Uncheck the box labeled "Time to display list of operating systems"
If you ever do need to boot to XP again, first go into Vista and re-enable the boot menu by checking this box and setting the time to a number of seconds (such as 15).

No comments: