Thursday, November 6, 2008

How do I find out how many connections I have to my XP computer?

QUESTION:I have a home network with several computers (my desktop, laptop, wife's laptop, son's desktop and daughter's laptop) and I use my old XP machine as a file server, but sometimes I get a message that "no more connections can be made to this remote computer because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept." Exactly how many connections can we have at a time and how do I find out how many connections there are at a particular time and what they are? Thanks. - Joseph R.

ANSWER:Windows XP Home allows five simultaneous inbound connections for file and printer sharing and XP Pro allows ten.To view the connections, click Start Run and type cmd to open the command window, then type netstat -an to show the current active connections.You can decrease the timeout period to cause unused connections to disconnect more quickly (default is 15 minutes) by configuring the autodisconnect time. To do this, type the following at the command prompt:net config server /autodisconnect:5Replace the "5" with the number of minutes you want to pass before a client automatically disconnects.

No comments: